I am so excited to jump start 2018 with 28 days of healthy eating and since healthy eating starts with breakfast…what better way to kick off the new year than with our favorite breakfast recipe!
Sunny Spinacia Breakfast Bowl…unusual name…great breakfast! Weighing in at 325 calories, 18 grams of protein, 19 grams of fat & 21 grams of carbs, it’s a great way to start your day!
The original recipe was posted two years ago and called for one egg per person, I’ve changed that to two eggs per serving to increase the protein. Jeff and I found that a protein filled breakfast really helps keep us satisfied and less likely to grab for those unhealthy snacks.
Sometimes the best recipes come together because of ingredients that I know must be used before they go bad…that is exactly what happened here. I was making breakfast for Jeff and me a couple of years ago and while I was getting out the old standby-bacon and eggs, I saw that I had a small amount of spinach left and decided to make an omelet. Then I glanced over to my fruit bowl and saw a pear that was getting a few dark spots…so I started to put it all together in my mind and I grabbed a few more ingredients and the Sunny Spinacia Breakfast Bowl was born! Well…actually…an unnamed, delicious, can’t wait to make again breakfast was born. I needed help to name the recipe and my sister Margaret came to the rescue!
This breakfast takes less than 15 minutes to prepare, the flavors explode in your mouth and make your taste buds sing!
What you need for Sunny Spinacia Breakfast Bowl:
- Feta Cheese
- Honey (not pictured, but added the final touch)
In a saute pan on medium heat, begin frying one (or two) piece(s) of bacon (I used thick cut apple wood smoked) until the bacon fat begins to render. Using a paring knife, peel & slice the pear into wedges. Add to pan with the bacon. Continue to cook and turn the bacon until crisp (about 7 minutes). Turn the pear wedges after a few minutes to brown on both sides. Remove the bacon and drain on a paper towel. Turn the heat off, leaving the pears in the pan until ready to assemble.
In a second saute pan, add olive oil or butter to pan, heat on medium low. When pan is hot, crack two eggs into saute pan and reduce to low heat (sorry my picture is so bad, eggs don’t wait for a good picture!). Salt and pepper the eggs. Cook slowly until the white is cooked and the yellow is still runny. When the eggs are almost done, add in 1/2 of the spinach ( I added just a pinch of salt and pepper to the spinach). Turn the spinach a few times, just until it wilts, remove from pan and place on plate or in your bowl. Repeat with other 2 eggs and remaining spinach. I got a little impatient and flipped my eggs, making them over easy instead of sunny side up…the dish might not look as pretty, but it was still delicious!
Now, we are ready to assemble. You’ll notice the assembly pictures are shown on a plate, that’s the way I served it the first time I made it. Divide the wilted spinach between two shallow bowls, add the feta to each bowl/plate. Top with egg, pear wedges and crumbled bacon. Drizzle with honey. Serve and Enjoy!
Healthy Eating Starts with Breakfast
- 1 Strip Thick Cut Apple Wood Smoked Bacon
- 2 cups spinach fresh
- 1 pear
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup of Feta cheese crumbled
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil or butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a saute pan on medium begin to cook bacon slice.
- Peel and slice pear into 8 wedges
- When the bacon is 50% cooked and some of the bacon fat has rendered into the pan, add in pear wedges
- When bacon is nice and crispy, remove from pan and drain on a paper towel
- Turn heat off and leave pears in pan until ready to assemble
- In a separate saute pan, add in 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil or butter and heat on medium. When pan is hot, crack two eggs into pan and reduce heat to low and add a pinch of salt and pepper on the eggs
- Add Spinach to the pan. season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Turn several times until slightly wilted.
- Remove Spinach and eggs from pan.
- To assemble: Divide all ingredients between two plates. Place spinach on the bottom of a plate or bowl. Top with crumbled feta, egg, pear and crumbled bacon.
- Drizzle with honey
- Serve and Enjoy!
*all nutritional information obtained from My Fitness Pal
Be sure to subscribe to The Salted Pepper to ensure you don’t miss a great recipe!
You can also find us on Facebook!
Happy New Year!