Maryland Crab Canapes are one of my favorite appetizers of all time!
These are one of the easiest, make ahead (and freeze) appetizers; they take minutes to assemble and once frozen they can be cut into fours and put in a freezer bag until ready to bake.
My mom usually makes several batches, freezes them and when she has unexpected guests or needs a quick and delicious snack, she pulls them out of the freezer and bakes them. In 20 minutes her lucky guests are snacking on a little piece of heaven.
I've altered the recipe my mom uses and added Old Bay Seasoning to bring a bit of Maryland to the traditional crab canape!
Simply put, Maryland crab canapes are yummy crab and cheese on top of a crunchy English muffin...what's not to like about that?
What you'll need for Maryland Crab Canapes:
- Old English Cheddar Cheese
- Butter (room temperature)
- Garlic Powder
- Old Bay Seasoning
- Crab Meat
- Thomas' English Muffins
* only one stick of butter is used, I had two out because I'm making a double batch.
Remove any shells from crab meat and place in container in fridge until ready to add to the cheese mixture. *If using pasteurized crab meat, I like to rinse it before using.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients (except crab meat) and blend with a hand mixer on medium speed until well combined (about 2 minutes).
Gently fold in crab meat until combined with cheese mixture.
Break apart English muffins using a fork or your fingers (It's important to use Thomas's English muffins, the nooks and crannies keep the topping from falling off in the freezer). Put English muffin halves on a baking tray. Spread crab meat/ cheese topping on top of each halved English Muffin (about 2-3 Tablespoons).
Place on tray in freezer for about 1-2 hours or until frozen. Cut each English muffin into fours and place in freezer bag until ready to use.
When ready to bake. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Place crab canapes on baking sheet and bake on 425 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Serve warm and Enjoy!
Maryland Crab CanapesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 pound Crab Meat
- 2 5ounce Jars of Kraft Old English Spread
- ½ cup Butter room temperature
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- ¼ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ Cup of Mayonnaise
- 9 Thomas' English Muffins
- Remove any shells from crab meat, store in fridge until ready to use
- Split English muffins with fork or by hand and place each half on a baking tray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except the crab meat and beat with a hand mixer until combined
- Fold crab meat into cheese mixture and spread about 2-3 Tablespoons onto each half of an English muffin.
- Place tray in freezer for 1-2 hours or until completely frozen.
- Cut each English muffin into quarters and place into freezer bag until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place canapes on a baking tray and bake on 425 degrees for about 20 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Serve warm and Enjoy!