Coming up with dinner ideas night after night can be challenging, even for someone who loves to cook!
You’ve got to try this recipe for Mediterranean Greek Salad, it’s perfect for a week night meal!
Jeff and I love to create salads using various ingredients we have on hand; we’ve done a really quick and easy fajita salad, a seared tuna over mixed greens and cherries, steak and blue cheese salad and just the other night a Mediterranean Greek Salad…boy, this one is so good! Like Jeff says when he really likes a recipe, “this one is a keeper!”! Not only is it packed with flavor, it’s super simple to put together and I even used store bought salad dressing! I have this aversion to buying salad dressing when they are so easy to make…but when I saw this one, I thought it sounded perfect and would save me time (always appreciated)!
Leftovers are perfect for lunch too!
One of the greatest things about this salad, in my opinion, is it’s ability to be used for lunch the next day! Even though this salad is dressed (with the dressing) and tossed just before serving, it holds up really well in the fridge over night too! There is nothing worse than having the most delicious salad and not being able to finish it, but knowing it just won’t hold up until tomorrow…so, in the trash it goes. Not this time! It’s all about the spinach! Since we are only using spinach as the greens of the salad, the wilting that occurs with refrigerated “dressed” salads doesn’t hurt this salad. The wilting does happen, but the spinach takes it in stride and handles the damp cold environment like a pro. I actually might (just a teeny weeny bit) like the day after salad better, it is bursting with flavor and crunch. The mint in this salad really pops and definitely gives the Mediterranean Greek Salad an edge over other recipes I’ve seen. As with any recipe, feel free to get creative here and change up or omit/add any ingredients to make this salad perfect for you! Just remember, only use spinach if you want to have it for lunch the next day!
What you’ll need for Mediterranean Greek Salad:
- Chicken Breast (or left over Rotisserie Chicken)
- Salt and Pepper
- Black Olives
- Feta Cheese
- Red Onion
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Pear Slices
- Sunflower Seeds
- Signature Select Greek Feta Vinaigrette
Step One: Trim chicken breast, rub with salt and pepper. Heat Cast Iron ( or other large saute pan) on medium high and swirl about a tablespoon of olive oil in the pan. Place chicken breasts into pan and cook for about 7-9 minutes per side. I turn mine after about 3 1/2 minutes (so a total of 4 turns). Cook until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. ( I actually remove mine at about 155-160F and let it rest for 10 minutes, during which time the temp rises to 165F. I think this keeps it moister)
Step Two: Prep the veggies. Peel and slice carrots, slice Cucumber (peeled or unpeeled) and cut in half or quarters. Halve the cherry tomatoes, I use Kumato tomatoes when I can find them. I love the flavor and feel they hold up great in salads and cooked preperations. Peel and slice the pear. Halve the large black olives, cut the onion and chop the mint. I guess I completely forgot to take pictures of veggie prep!
Step Three: Assemble the salad. In a large mixing bowl, add spinach and all other ingredients (except chicken). Add the salad dressing last, toss to combine. Cut the chicken breasts into strips.
Step Four: Plate and Serve. Enjoy!
Mediterranean Greek Salad
- 2 Pounds Chicken Breast
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
- 4 Cups of Spinach
- 1/2 Medium Cucumber
- 3-4 Carrots
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes I used Kumato
- 3/4 Cup Large Pitted Black Olives
- 1 Pear
- 4 Ounces Feta Cheese
- 1/4-1/2 Cup of Signature Select Greek Feta Vinaigrette
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Mint
- 1/4 Cup Sunflower Kernels
- Trim and Salt and Pepper Chicken. Swirl olive oil in cast iron pan ( or saute pan), heat over medium heat. Add Children Breasts and cook on each side for 7-9 minutes, I turn the chicken after about 3-4 minutes (so a total of 4 turns). Remove when temp reaches 165 degrees.*see note. Remove and allow to rest.
- Prep all veggies. Cut Cucumbers (peeled or unpeeled0 in halves or quarters. Halve the cherry tomatoes, Peel and slice the Pear. Peel and slice carrots. Cut olives in half. Cut red onion into strips. Chop Mint and Crumble Feta cheese.
- Mix all ingredients (except chicken) in a large salad bowl. Add 1/4 cup to a 1/2 cup dressing and toss to combine.
- Slice Chicken Breasts
- Plate salad greens and top with Chicken Slices.
- Serve & Enjoy!