Turkey Apple Sloppy Joes... A wonderful twist on a traditional dish!
Many times, my inspiration behind creating a new recipe is based on ingredients that I have on hand. This is especially true when I'm feeling a bit lazy or tired and a trip to the grocery store seems worse than eating onions and cheese for dinner! Although now that I think about it, sautéd onions and cheese sounds pretty darn good! I could lightly sauté onions; layer them with cheese in a casserole dish; add some milk or better yet cream and bake until golden brown and bubbly. YUM... Onions Au Gratin! See how that just happens? I'm excited to share my awesome recipe for Turkey Apple Sloppy Joes and my brain wanders off down a different lane. That's me... nice to meet you.
Now, where was I? Oh yeah, Turkey Apple Sloppy Joes. YUM!
My husband asked for Sloppy Joes the other night and I thought that sounded really good, we haven't had them in forever. I planned on going to the store to get ground beef and all the usual characters found in Sloppy Joes, but because I was very
lazy busy with work on this particular day, I never made it. So... what to do???? Hmmm...as I was thinking about dinner, my focus went to the Granny Smith apples sitting in a bowl on my counter... see how often that happens? My brain is a multi-lane highway and I'm always veering off onto a different lane. In this case it worked out great because I decided to use those apples and make Turkey Apple Sloppy Joes!
I hardly ever have a plan when creating a meal off the cuff. I see what I have in the kitchen, envision the completed dish and away I go. In fact, it was a big dose of reality when I started this blog. You mean I have to start writing stuff down? Oh boy... with a brain like mine, that's gonna be tough. And it is, but I'm getting better!
Okay, time for the important stuff! This is how you make wonderfully delicious (and healthier) Turkey Apple Sloppy Joes. First up is a quick video so you can see exactly how easy this recipe is to throw together. Then on to the written steps of making them. Feel free to scroll down to the end of this post for the printable recipe!
Enjoy and I'd love to hear from you after you try our Turkey Apple Sloppy Joes!
What you'll need:
*Catalina Tangy French dressing is missing... because, I had no idea when I took this picture that it would become the finishing touch!
- Ground Turkey
- Apple Cider vinegar
- Tomato Paste
- Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- Granny Smith Apple
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt and Pepper
- Brown Sugar
- Catalina Tangy French Dressing **you can leave this out, but it really livened up the dish!
- Hamburger Buns
- Olive Oil
Heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a large saute pan on medium heat. Add in ground turkey, salt and pepper.
Dice your apple and onion into small dice, about a ¼ inch cube. Add to saute pan. Add in 1-2 cloves of minced garlic. Add the apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, cook on medium until ground turkey is cooked, this will take about 10 minutes.
Add the tomato paste to your saute pan and stir to combine, reduce heat to low. Next add the fire roasted tomatoes and stir to combine. Add the brown sugar and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for about 5-10 minutes.
Taste (best part of cooking!) and add salt and pepper if you think it needs it. This is where I decided that adding a little Tangy Catalina French Dressing would give our Turkey Apple Sloppy Joes that special something and boy, oh boy, that was the right call! Serve on hamburger buns. I usually toast my buns first to reduce the sogginess of the bun, but this time we were so excited to dig in, we skipped that step! Serve the Turkey Apple Sloppy Joes with a side salad, using...Tangy Catalina French dressing of course! Ties the meal together in a perfectly balanced way.
Thanks for stopping by The Salted Pepper! Hope to see you again soon... don't forget to subscribe so you never miss a new recipe!
Turkey Apple Sloppy Joes
- 1 Pound Ground Turkey
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Pepper
- ½ Vidalia or white Onion, ¼ inch dice
- 1 Granny Smith Apple peeled and ¼ inch dice
- 1-2 Cloves of Garlic minced
- ¼ Cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- ¼ Cup Tomato Paste
- 1 14 oz Can Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- ¼ Cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ Cup Tangy Catalina French Dressing
- Dice the apple and onion, mince or fine chop the garlic.
- Heat Olive Oil in a large saute pan on medium heat. Add Ground Turkey, salt and pepper.
- Add diced apples, onions and minced garlic to saute pan and stir to combine.
- Add Apple Cider vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Continue cooking on medium heat until ground turkey is cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, fire roasted tomatoes and brown sugar. Stir to combine all ingredients. Reduce heat to low.
- Add Tangy Catalina French dressing and stir.
- Cover and allow to simmer 10-15 until flavors have combined.
- Toast hamburger buns (optional)
- Place Turkey Apple mixture on buns, serve and enjoy!